There are a few reasons why Substance Painter would crash on Windows, usually because of the following situations:
- There is a custom theme installed / There is custom shell extensions installed
- There is a conflict with a specific software, see: Software conflicts
Shell extensions/Custom theme
Custom themes are not supported by our GUI framework, therefore it is highly recommended to uninstall the current theme before using Substance Painter.
Alienware/Dell computers integrate by default some shell extensions that are known to be incompatible with Substance Painter. We recommend to uninstall them. While we do not know exactly all the extensions that are incompatible, most of the time they correspond to:
- DBROverlayIconBackuped.DBROverlayIconBackuped Class
- DBROverlayIconNotBackuped.DBROverlayIconNotBackuped Class
You can see which extensions are installed on your computer by using the following tool. Here is a rough procedure on how to proceed:
- Download and install ShellExView from NirSoft: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
- Run the program
- Click on Option and choose Filter By Extension Type
- Select Icon Overlay handler
- You should see the two entries for Alien Respawn.
- Select both and click the red button to disable them.