Substance Painter can be unstable if the paging file (swap memory/virtual memory) is set with a value too low.
It is advised to let the Operating System handling these settings (which is normally the case by default). Substance Painter requires a minimum of 16GB of virtual memory in order to work properly.
How to change the virtual memory size on Windows ?
Changing the virtual memory size on Windows will require a restart of the computer.
Access the virtual memory settings with the following steps
- Right-click on the "Computer/This PC" icon and choose "Properties"
- Select "Advanced System Settings"
- Click on the "Settings" button of the "Performance" section
- Click on the "Advanced" tab
- Click on "Change" in the "Virtual Memory" section
Now it is possible to either:
- Enable the checkbox "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
- Select the hard drive where you want to change the virtual memory size and choose "System managed size" and click on the "Set" button.