On Mac OS Mojave or newer, it is possible to specify per application to use the external GPU. Substance Painter performances and stability may improve with this setting enabled.
For more information refer to Apple documentation.
To enable it:
- Close Substance Painter if it is already running.
- Select Substance Painter in the Finder, it can be found in the Applications folder.
- Presse Command-I or Right-Click on the Substance Painter application and choose Get Info.
- In the new window, enable the setting Prefer External GPU.
- Restart Substance Painter.
This setting won't be visible if an eGPU is not connected or if the current version of MacOS is too old.